I started sewing in the late winter of 2014. I went to an introductory class at Joann Fabrics, and from there, I used youtube and blog tutorials to learn everything else. Most of what I have done has been trial and error. I used tutorials or free patterns online to make my projects. I also designed my own pattern for sausage pillows. Up until this most recent project, I had bought a few patterns from Joann’s, but I hadn’t tried any yet. I had my cousin’s baby shower coming up, and I wanted to make something for her gift, so I set out on using my first envelope pattern.
I chose to make the bear. I made a list of all of the fabric and other supplies I would need and set out to the store. It was quite an ordeal having a toddler there with me. She tries to grab everything off the shelves, and she touches all of the fabric I put in the cart, often times unrolling the bolts. Several fits took place as well. It took a while for me to pick out just the right fabric, but I finally had everything I needed.
When it came time for me to start working on it, I was a nervous wreck. I read the instructions from start to finish several times. My hands shook SO BAD the whole time I cut out the pattern pieces. I was so afraid of messing them up. After much longer than it should have taken, I finally got the pattern cut out.
The next day, I started cutting out the fabric. For some reason, that wasn’t as stressful as cutting the actual pattern. I did struggle with how to mark the different parts of the pattern. I finally decided to use tracing paper for the applique lines, and I used thread to mark the places where the pattern would go together. It probably wasn’t the best method, but it worked out.
I worked on this project over a couple of weeks. I would generally only work for about 2-3 hours at a time. Finally it started taking shape.
When I finally finished, it was such a relief. My husband was impressed. He never thought I would make anything like that. My mom got to see it, and she loved it. Of course, I am my own worst critic, so I saw imperfections here and there that bothered me, but overall, I think it turned out nice.
I would love to see some of the projects you have made in the comments!