My family has had matching Christmas stockings for many generations. My great-grandmother made them for every new member of the family. Each stocking matched the others, and the person’s name was cross-stitched on the top. People would order stockings from my great-grandma from all over the world. She made them for many years. After she passed away, we all wondered how we would continue to have matching stockings for new family members.
Several years ago, my mom found the pattern that my great-grandma used to make the stockings. It was very difficult to read, so I kind of brushed it aside. My crafty cousin was able to decipher the pattern and recreate this treasured family item. A few weeks ago, I decided to try to tackle crocheting one of these stockings for myself. I typed out the pattern so that I could read it easily as I worked. After consulting with my cousin a couple of times, I got to work.
During my first attempt, after several hours, I got 2 rows from the top of the stocking, and I realized something looked WAY off. I unraveled the whole thing! When I restarted, I ended up tangling my yarn. (Yarn and I get in to some serious arguments!) I worked several HOURS on trying to untangle it. I finally gave up and just cut it!
The next challenge came when trying to put the name “Savannah” on the stocking. My great-grandma always said it was difficult to fit “Danielle” on the stocking, and she had to make adjustments to some of the letters in order for it to fit. The reason Savannah didn’t have one yet on her 3rd Christmas is because my cousin couldn’t get her name to fit. She really doesn’t have a shortened nickname yet, so we weren’t ever sure what to put. I tried my hardest to adjust the letters to make her name fit, but no matter what, it wouldn’t work. Finally I decided to just put “Vannah.” Imagine my surprise when I found that the standard lettering wouldn’t allow Vannah to fit either. Using graph paper (as suggested by my super smart cousin), I adjusted the letters to fit. When I stitched them out, I got to the last leg of the “H” when I realized it wouldn’t fit. I had to pull everything out and start 2 stitches back. That worked, and I was finally able to finish it.
Savannah’s stocking is a little bit bigger than the Mom and Dad ones my cousin made. I tend to crochet tight, so I tried to consciously make my stitches loose. It resulted in a bigger stocking, but I am okay with that because at least her stocking matches ours.
This week I made another stocking for little one on the way. I made sure to make my stitches tight this time so it would be closer to the size of the others. Turns out I made the stitches too tight, and his stocking is smaller than ours! Now I know for the next one I make to just crochet as I normally would and it should end up a size in between, which will be perfect!
On another note, tonight I opened an Etsy shop. None of my creations are on there yet, but they will be soon. For now, some of Scott’s Can Cars (actually the motorcycles) are on there. It will probably be a variety shop. Until I post actual listings, feel free to request a custom order if you have seen something I’ve made that you want for yourself!
Here is a link to the shop: Delicate Dani Designs
Let me know in the comments what you would like to see in the shop!
(If you are interested in opening your own shop on Etsy, let me know. If I send you a referral link, you get 40 free listings, and I get 40 free listings.)